Tuesday 21 December 2010

Looking for a new way to Learn Chinese for free

I'm looking again at improving my Chinese again. Having spent two years in China (the best way to improve your Chinese) I am now back in SA and have found that my Chinese has slipped drastically.
Chatting to the Chinese Take Away Cashiers just doesn't cut it.
I have considered going to a physical class here in JHB's China Town, but having spent a lot of time learning from a Beijinger I am loathe to spend a lot of time studying with a Tiawanese teacher, as most of them are here.
Therefore I revert back to a wonderful discovery I made about 3 years ago Chinese Podcasts... Back then it was Chinesepod.com that was so awesome. Unfortunately that ship has sailed and you now need to pay subscription fees to be able to access the content. (If you are willing and able then I HIGHLY recommend them, lots of awesome tools for you to learn the way you want to)
There are so many rubbish podcasts, audio snippets etc. out there to listen to, none of them carry the fun and interest that Chinesepod always made sure you could get.
I tried CRI English, IMandarinPod, Melnyck etc and all of them are not right for me.

However there now seems to be light at the end of the tunnel! Pop Up Chinese! Seems like lots of fun.
Maybe I will get the chance to let you know how it goes in future

No comments: