Tuesday 15 April 2014

Selling your vehicle without the buyer

I seem to have lots of fun at the Vehicle Licensing Department.  I sold that motor bike in 2012 and have been nagging the buyer to register it in his name for about two years.  Having had to pay for the license disc for these two years I thought enough is enough, time to go to the effort to get it out of my name!

I ventured off to the Vehicle Licensing Department in Marlboro JHB armed with a Transfer of Ownership form, a copy of the sales contract, a previous License disc (the full document) a copy of my ID and a copy of the buyers ID.

I then pitched at the front desk and was told I needed an Affidavit and that this affidavit needed to state that I had sold the vehicle to the buyer.

So I popped out, got the affidavit at the nearest Police Station and returned.  To my pleasant surprise I was able to get the motor bike out of my name WITHOUT the signature of the buyer!  Yes, the guy at the counter noticed that it was not signed, but with the affidavit it seemed not a problem at all.

What a nice change to have something work for a change!  So, don't forget to take the following documents if you have the same problem:
1. Completed Notification of a Change of Ownership Form (which can be downloaded from here, if they will accept the printed form is another question though)
2. Copy of your ID (they stated that it did NOT have to be a certified copy)
3. Affidavit stating that you sold the vehicle to the buyer
4. The Sales Contract and a copy
5. It may help to take a copy of the ID of the buyer if you have one)
6. You don't need the previous license disc form, but i was able to pull the vehicle VIN Number, register number etc. from the document.

No comments: