Thursday 14 June 2007

English Teachers in Beijing Self Support

Just a quick note about my English Teachers in Beijing self support Group on Facebook. Well, basically if you have any questions please feel free to ask in the discussion forums or here.

The idea really is that English Teachers are often left to their own devices in a country that isn't really fluent enough in English and the ways of the west. I just think that as English teachers we can help each other. It's not only socially that schools don't help us, but with teaching too. I find they tend to give me a book and then say, "Oh, and add your own material, make the class interesting!" Maybe it's because I didn't do a TEFL, but "make the class interesting", well to my students that means we shouldn't work hard.
So whenever a student complains, that's when I get given advice, never mind about the actual quality of the class! It's always, include the lower level students in the class more or do more talking.

So in my mind all quality has gone out the window! It's just about making students have fun. Who cares if they actually learn anything!

No comments: