Tuesday 5 June 2007

Searching for a Chinese School in Beijing

Having really looked around for a school to learn Chinese in Beijing I haven't really come much closer to knowing which one to go to.

Firstly I've been told by all my Chinese friends to go to BLCU (Beijing Language and Cultural University) but I haven't been so sure. I came across a website written by someone working in the chinese teaching industry. They were Chinese and had the logic that if you want to do a quick course mainly improving your spoken Chinese you should go to a private school. University education is too thorough to be taught in a 6 week course. (look here for it: http://annatam.com/what-to-choose-chinese-language-school-or-university/)

So I looked around at a few Private schools. It seemed true that they seem to focus more on talking, but I have been a little worried about the price. It's even more than BLCU! (and BLCU has been pricey enough) I've found myself coerced into going to trial classes I don't want to attend, meeting people I don't want to meet. So far it's all free, but I have been coerced before into parting with my money. I really need to learn the chinese skill of walking away!

Anyway, so just today I went to a little school next to wudaokou subway station. Only 12 RMB for an hours class! I'm going there the day after tomorrow to try a class. The only problem is that no one there could speak English! So how far my limited Chinese will take me is questionable. The reason no-one can speak English is because it's mostly a Korean school and I could only find the address here: http://diqiucunschool.co.kr/introduce/ditu.php thanks to someone else's hard work (at http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=8815 in the comments). Very easy to find actually. Just walk out of Wudaokou (western side) there'll be a traffic light right in front of you and turn right up the road (northern direction) and you can see a small sign on a building on the left hand side of the road. Go in and go up to the 2nd floor and walla! You're there.

So, I guess you better check back the day after tomorrow if I get a chance to write further of my misadventures.

No comments: